This is Rikki. She sent me an email asking what she should wear to a formal banquet. Then I got jealous that I wasn’t invited. Her personality is a mix of funky and punk and she loves to make a statement with her clothing. My kind of girl! This is the ModCloth dress she picked out. Totes adorbs!! I’ve never done funky-punky before because I’m not cool so if I’m totally off my game for this post now you know why… Sorry in advance, Rikki!
When I first saw the dress, I thought COLOR…and LOTS of it! For me I see two ways to work with color: make it the statement piece and revolve neutral pieces around it or compete with it using MORE color!
With the colorful tights and shoes, I went with a classic route with the accessories to offset the color contrast.
Option 1: green/blue tights
Option 2a: red/pink tights
Option 2b: red tights
Here are some options with light-colored tights and shoes to make the yellow dress be the focal point of the outfit.
Option 3: You could also wear the striped tank top underneath for some more color!
Option 4: A neutral blouse underneath for a modest option.
Option 5: Another modest option with a tie-neck blouse.
Option 6: gray tights
tips for rikki
- Since it’s a formal event, I would keep it simple in the tights and shoes but then go crazy with the accessories.
- But simple doesn’t have to mean boring! I would stay away from black tights because it is a harsh color contrast with the pretty yellow so go for color! ..or neutral tights like gray or ivory.
- If you plan on wearing jewelry, go for chunky bracelets to adorn those bare arms! As for necklaces, you could either go for layering choker necklaces or layering long strands so you can really go either way depending on if you want the pretty detailing of the bandeau top of the dress covered or not…so I tried to give you as many options as possible.
- Don’t forget about your jacket! I think it’s just as important as your dress or shoes. I would suggest a cropped jacket such as a bolero or a jacket that is similar to the length of your dress that also flares out at the bottom. Think capelet but not really..
- What tips do you have for Rikki on styling her dress for her formal banquet??