To create your own elbow patches, here is a list of supplies you will need:
- Hand sewing needle
- rectangle of felt in the color of your choice (You can find felt at Walmart, Jo-Ann Fabric, or Michael’s.)
- Thread (to match or contrast the color of the felt)
- Tailor’s chalk or a non-permanent fabric marker (you can also use regular chalk or a regular washable marker instead)
- Sharp scissors
- Tall square tissue box
- Pins or safety pins
1. Put your sweater/cardigan on and using a mirror and your chalk/marker, make an X on your elbow area.
2. Next take your scissors and cut off the top of the tissue box. Remove any plastic that may be around the opening of the box top.
3. Grab your felt rectangle and fold it in half (hamburger style) and pin it so that the fabric stays folded in half. Using your tissue box top as a template, trace an oval on the felt.
4. Pin your ovals over the X marks you made. Fold the sweater/cardigan in half to check and see if the oval are placed evenly in the same spot of each arm.
6. After the patches are sewn down, you are done! If you can’t get enough of elbow patches, you can also try making them in different shapes like I did here.